Sunday, May 1, 2016

Detroit Style Experiment

I have eaten Detroit style pizza once, at Jet's, which I think is probably not a perfect example of what constitutes Detroit style. Also, I have never read a word about how to make Detroit style, nor have I ever discussed Detroit style with anyone. I don't know if you can tell from the pictures (which I will add whenever I figure out how from my phone, but I think I came pretty close to nailing Detroit style on my first try. One thing I know is that this pizza was way the hell better than Jet's.

Here are the basics of how I did it.

100% Bread flour
60% Warm water
2% IDY
1.75% Salt
6% Oil
  • Mixed for 10 minutes.
  • Scaled into two 11 oz dough balls.
  • Put one dough ball in the fridge.
  • Put the other dough ball in a well-oiled Detroit style pan.
  • Allowed the dough ball to rise/proof for a couple hours at room temperature.
  • Press dough to make it take the shape of the pan.
  • Let it proof for maybe another hour.
  • Pressed it again, so it was pretty much the shape of the pan.
  • Covered the dough with mozzarella pretty heavily, all the way to the edges.
  • Applied four separate spoonfuls of sauce.
  • Baked on stone in 500° oven for 12 minutes.
Things I will do differently next time:
  1. Bake at 475 instead of 500.
  2. Use less dough; maybe 8 oz instead of 11 oz. (I can't remember the pan dimensions at the moment.
  3. Seems like there was one other thing.
I have several pics, but I need to figure out if I can post them from my phone. I may have more to add, but right now I'm in a hospital bed trying to recover from a gruesomely broken leg.

3 comments:

  1. Are you looking for mini burger or pizza boxes? Get your fantastic mini burger and pizza boxes by mini burger boxes
    And maintain your safety for the edible items. We are there for you to make you happy by the customization in every shape, size or length.

    ReplyDelete
  2. goreadsocialmedia.com believes that your Instagram followers are one of the most valuable assets that you have. When it comes to building a following on social media, there is no such thing as too many followers that we will give you.

    ReplyDelete